Tuesday, January 8, 2013

{Use This, Not That}

Let's talk subbing. One great thing about the Weight Watchers program is your eyes are opened to great substitutes you can use in your everyday eating, some of which I never thought about before. I've compiled a short list that I now live by. It's amazing how simple substitutes like these can add up to make a huge difference. Your body will say, "thank you!"

1. Sub ground turkey or ground chicken in place of ground beef. It's healthier, more lean, and it gives great flavor to your recipes! {my hubby prefers ground chicken over ground turkey, which suits me just fine because it's cheaper!}

2. Use whole wheat pasta instead of the traditional pasta. Healthier for you, and I prefer the hearty flavor.

3. Try reduced fat dairy products. Whether it be butter, cheese, milk, or yogurt, I am always looking for the light and healthy alternatives. The flavor difference is virtually nonexistent.

4. Curb that sweet tooth with fro-yo versus ice cream. If you know me and my hubby, you know we love our fro-yo. I gotta have that sweet, icy treat and fro-yo fits the bill without all the fat.
{Money Saving Tip: If you happen to be at Cherry Berry for some fro-yo, "check-in" on FB to receive 3 oz free!}

5. Try baked instead of fried. I've never been a fan of the ol' fry daddy; I've always preferred baking. It's not worth the added fat and calories. Anything that can be fried can be baked. 

6. Sub fresh veggies for potatoes and corn. On the Weight Watchers program, corn and potatoes are two starchy vegetables that are assigned points while fresh veggies are not. Try limiting these two tricky culprits--they aren't as healthy as others, for example spinach, carrots, celery, tomatoes, etc.


7. Choose water over pop {or soda, if you're not an Okie}. The moment my hubby cut out that sugary substance from his life was the moment I fell more in love with him. Just kidding, but you'd be amazed how much weight he dropped almost immediately. While I've never liked to drink pop my whole life, I know a lot of people struggle with the addiction. Just take a quick glance at the calories and sugar content on the label. Or you can watch those nasty videos on the web that show the sugary devil disintegrating steak - um, nasty much?!

8. Turkey bacon always wins against pork bacon. Try it!  You cook it just the same as traditional bacon, and the it crisps up just as good.  Compare the labels next time you're at the store, it's pretty amazing.  I love the flavor of the turkey bacon and it's guilt-free!


9. Always choose whole grain breads over white bread.  There are so many awesome varieties of breads nowadays.  I challenge myself to find the one with the most whole grains, flax, etc.  You can feel good about eating bread for once in your life!

10.  OJ freak?  Sub Trop50 orange juice just once and tell me you don't love it. 

XoX,
Mrs. Munana

No comments:

Post a Comment