Wednesday, January 9, 2013

{Angel Food Berry Dessert}

Today I've got something special for your sweet tooth.  When I came across this recipe, I was searching for the perfect light and healthy dessert that was portable enough to take on a trip to my hometown for the 4th of July.  I also needed it to be Weight Watcher approved.  When I served this to my family, my mother fell in love and demanded that I bring this dessert for every holiday, birthday, or any other family event.  So, I'd say it was a hit! 

{Angel Food Berry Dessert}
2 Cups Strawberries, Fresh, stems removed, berries quartered
6 oz Blackberries, {can used fresh or frozen, just be sure to thaw}
6 oz Blueberries, fresh
1/2 cup Sugar, white
2 Tbsp Sugar, white
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
2 Tsp Lemon juice
12 oz Raspberries, fresh or 2 Cups thawed frozen
9 oz Angel Food Cake, {store bought} cut into 6 wedges

{Directions}
1.  Combine strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice in a bowl, toss well.

2.  Combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice with the raspberries in a blender.  process on high speed until smooth {about 1-2 minutes}. 

3.  To assemble:  Spoon 2/3 cup of berry mixture on angel food cake.  Spoon 3 tablespoons of raspberry sauce on top.  Yields 1 plate per serving, {6 WW Points}

{Note from Mrs. Munana}:  I serve this with a small dollop of light cool whip.  Recipe actually says to remove seeds from raspberries by using a cheese cloth after blending the mixture.  I leave the seeds in the sauce, great source of fiber.

 
 
Xox,
Mrs. Munana

No comments:

Post a Comment